Thursday, January 24, 2013

Random Word #1


As I’ve noted in almost all of the few posts I’ve made, I am bad at coming up with things to write (At least, it seems that way. I’m not going back to check). And I have nothing better to do than write, since my friends have abandoned me to go do fun things. I’m just going to move on to prevent you from saddening yourself by thinking about that too hard. So I came up with an idea to give myself something to write about. And I’m about to reveal what that idea was, so prepare to be very shocked if you’re the kind of person who refuses to read titles: I’m going to generate a random word. Well, actually, that task is being outsourced to a computer. But, once I have a randomly generated word, I’m going to use it as a prompt to write things. Kind of like improv, but in writing. I can’t say how long I’ll write about it, but I’ll try to make it of decent length
It wouldn’t really be in the spirit of the game if I spend all of my words complaining about how lame the prompt is, but that seems like exactly the kind of thing I would do, so you best batten down the hatches. Today’s “somewhat uncommon” noun is…
Server Error in ‘/CreativityTools’ Application
image

Oh. Wow. I could not have come up with a better result if I tried. Let me be clear: This is a real thing that just happened. I am being so sincere right now. I am seriously debating whether or not I should come up with a new word generator, or just talk about server errors. Actually, I think I’m going to go with the latter. And you’re going to be glad I did.
One time, my family was at Steak ‘n Shake. I wasn’t there, so I’ve only heard eyewitness accounts of this story. They ordered shakes, as you do (Did you think people went for the “Steak”? Nonsense). The waitress messed up the order somehow, so they got more shakes for free. Anyway, to prevent me from having to confabulate more details, they ended up getting a whole bunch more shakes than they ordered, plus two coupons for free shakes, which I used at a later time. Why did all this happen? Because of SERVER ERROR! (Get it? Because sometimes one word can mean more than one thing.) Now, whenever I hear a noise from an unidentified source, I’m going to suspect that it was someone letting out a pun-groan loud enough to be heard from Proxima-Centauri (Fun Fact! Pun groans do not need to be transmitted through a medium. Scientists study this phenomenon fervently to this very day)

If you’re still hungry for examples, even though the punchline is already dead and gone, I accidentally ordered a bottle of grape soda when I meant to order a bottomless mug of grape soda. Though I suppose that’s more my fault.
As you may have guessed from the #1 in the title of this post, there was the possibility of this happening again in the future, depending on how well this one turned out. And, judging by how well this one turned out, even when given arguably the best possible prompt, it’s seeming pretty unlikely that I will attempt this again in the future. But I suppose that it all depends on how willing my friends are to hang out with me. So I guess that means that you should be expecting copious quantities of pseudo-random words in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment